Part 2: Healthy Snacks to Go
Man, do we run the roads!
With 2 teenagers who don’t drive yet, plus two toddlers, a husband who works an hour away, stepchildren in another school 40 miles away, not to mention elderly grandparents who need help and my occasional visits as a home health nurse…we are always doing something. Always on the go.
I have goals! They have goals! We all have goals!
Plus, we don’t like the way we feel after we have some quick, processed meal, or eat a bunch of junk when we don’t take the time to prep, so we try our very best to be as prepared as possible to avoid either being tempted, or starving and forced to eat whatever.
Here are some of our family favorites, popular from mom and dad to teens and toddlers:
- Nuts-Dude. We love nuts. Walnuts, almonds, pistachios. Even seeds like pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds.
- Chopped veggies-carrot sticks, sliced cucumbers, sliced bell peppers or mini peppers, and celery.
- Fruit-Nature’s perfect grab-and-go treat! Bananas, apples, berries (prewashed and sliced), mandarins, oranges-you name it, we love it.
- Bars with simple ingredients-some bars aren’t the best because they can be high in sugar and overly processed with lots of crazy ingredients and tons of soy, so read your labels. Right now, we love Pure Bars (can you say CHOCOLATE BROWNIE?) and Pressed by Kind Fruit and Chia bars because they have very minimal ingredient lists with nothing fake.
- Apple sauce (or other fruit) pouches-Yes they are for kids, but we all eat them. They’re a quick way to get a serving of fruit in while away from home and they don’t need refrigeration. We love these Shine Organics pouches!
- For those of us who can handle cheese (not me, unfortunately), string cheese or slices work great.
- Superfood Shake-best breakfast, snack, meal out there, in my opinion. My husband takes his for breakfast on his hour drive to work everyday. I like mine as a post-workout treat, the kids like theirs whenever they can get it. As an RN, I’ve always preached whole foods, no need for shakes…but this isn’t your ordinary shake. It’s drinking your vitamins every day and we love it. As an RN, I’ve always preached whole foods, no need for shakes…but this isn’t your ordinary shake.
- Boiled Eggs-okay, my teenagers say they smell weird, so they don’t like to take them with them, but we like to keep a minimum of 6 boiled eggs in the fridge at a time. Great protein-packed snacks!
There’s no need to skimp on your health and wellness goals just because you’re busy! You can make it happen with just a little thought and a plan. I’m here to help with that!
What are some healthy snacks you like to take on the go? Let me know in the comments!