Part 7: Fun Tools for Fun & Healthy Meals
Healthy food doesn’t have to be boring!
Kids will often try new foods if they can “play” with it some. Imagination is key! We use fun tools in our #whatlolaeats lunches all the time and she and little brother Cruz love the fun shapes and learning to explore with different foods.
Here are some fun tools you can try and where to find them:
- Fun Plates & Bowls-Use your imagination and create something fun, or better yet, let them create for themselves! We love Dylbug dress up plates. RePlay also has some really awesome plates and utensils made from recycled jugs. ezpz makes silicone plates and placemats in one that are great for meal time and playtime. They suction to the table for less mess! (or if you have a toddler who likes to throw things!)
- Egg Molds-Say what!!! These are super cool! First you boil the egg, and peel them while they are still pretty warm. Then you place them in the molds, lock it tight and drop them in a bowl of ice water. You can also use them as rice molds! Check them out here. Some cookie cutters make great molds for fried eggs, but you can also try these. We haven’t had a lot of luck with them keeping their shape in these. If you try them and have success, let me know!
- Picks-My littles love using picks to grab their food. It’s great in helping to develop fine motor skills, and sometimes a little less difficult to use than a fork. Pick-Ease picks have a chunky handle that fits perfectly in little hands. We also like these alphabet ones and these little animals. Both of those are really small; maybe the size of the letters on a computer’s keyboard.
- Cutters-Fun stars, animal shapes, various sandwich and cookie cutters…you name it…they are all super fun!
- Bento Boxes-Cool and fun boxes to take on the go keep all the food separate and fun. Check out Bentgo, Planetbox, and the ultra-amazing Omiebox, which allows you to pack hot and cold things in the same box. How cool is that?
Do you have a favorite tool for fun meals? Let me know and I’ll feature it!